Tuesday 30 March 2010

Sponsored dog walk


When I heard about the 'Paws for Peace' sponsored walk, I decided it would be fun to enter. Watford Peace Hospice do a wonderful job and I was excited at the prospect of raising a bit of money for them and having a good, healthy walk at the same time.

There was just one small problem - I don't have a dog!

I asked a friend if I could borrow her black labrador as he's gorgeous! She readily agreed and so I worked out my timings based on the 40 minute trip to pick him up.

A few weeks went by and then when I emailed to confirm that I could still borrow the black labrador for the sponsored walk, my friend replied that it wasn't really convenient.

Call in my reserve supply of dogs - thank goodness for Georgia, the dog-sitter! I texted her on Saturday afternoon to ask if I could borrow a dog the following morning and she was not only happy to oblige, she offered to come along for the walk!

Sunday morning was a bit of a shock as the clocks went forward so I lost an hour's sleep. Still, managed to get ready and drag myself off to Rickmansworth Aquadrome. At least it wasn't raining!

I had just parked and was about to 'tweet' when I looked up and saw Georgia drive in with not only my 'rental' dog, but 3 others as well! (oh yes, and Terry too)

We signed in and decided to set off early - couldn't see any point in waiting 40 minutes to walk round with lots of other dogs.

Our 4 dogs had a lovely time. Alfie, a chocolate labrador, was running in and out of the water and then shaking himself all over us! Joy, my dog, was as good as gold, bless her (although she was the only one we needed a poo bag for!)

Alfie wasn't too keen on the swans and they didn't seem to think much of him either!

When we had completed the walk and returned to the start point, there were a few dogs there from Dogs Trust. It was all I could do to stop myself saying I'd take them home!

All in all, I had a lovely walk with 4 gorgeous dogs and 2 good friends. Thank you Georgia and Terry for making it much more fun than it might have been.

This is Joy - isn't she gorgeous!


And thank you to everyone who has sponsored me. The sponsorship continues for up to 3 months, so you can still contribute to my fund-raising total for the Peace Hospice if you would like to.

http://www.justgiving.com/wedding-wonders

No comments:

Post a Comment